Monday, November 3, 2014

Phil

Phil at Fourth Avenue South and South Jackson Street
What brand and type of bicycle do you have?
Trek 830.

Why do you ride? 
I enjoy the exercise and perspective change when commuting by pedal bike.

Where do you ride? 
I mostly commute to work in Tacoma from the north end to Fire Station 16 in Tacoma, which is on the west side. There's a pedal bike commuter on every shift working on Engine 16. That's pride!

What's the best thing that happened to you while riding? 
One of the first things I did when I went to Taiwan to teach English was buy a bike. I would ride into San Shia in southern Taipei county. One weekend, I could see a student a few blocks away while I was riding into town. I thought fast and hard for whether I should say hello in English or something in Chinese like, "No class today! Have fun!" when, in a moment, I was close to him and ready to say something when he beat me to the punch. My fifth grade student gave me the middle finger and said, "Merry Christmas." This happened in August.



No comments:

Post a Comment