Thursday, October 23, 2014

Mike

Mike at Fifth Avenue South and South Jackson Street
What brand and type of bicycle do you have?
My daily commuter is a Cannondale mountain bike.  I don’t know the model – I bought it used in 1991, I am guessing it is 1988 vintage.  (I also have a Lemond Zurich road bike which I also bought used but I think it is a 2000 vintage.)

Why do you ride? 
#1 my mental health.  I feel so much better when I get to work or home when I bike.
#2 it is the easiest way to get around.  I love the convenience and flexibility I have on my bike.
#3 Exercise – it is often hard to find time in my day for exercise, so knowing I at least have two 25 minute light workouts per day is great.
#4 It is economical.  I love that our family only needs one car (and the corresponding cost savings) in large part because I bike/transit most places.
#5 Climate change.

Where do you ride? 
Daily between Fremont and downtown Seattle, but everywhere in and around town and the region.  Paired with our transit system, I get to almost all my regional commitments on bike/bus.

What's the best thing that happened to you while riding? 
So many great things but I can’t think of a single one that stands out.  One day STP. Bike commuting in the snow. RAMROD.  All the great people I meet at intersections that I would not meet if I were encased in thousands of pounds of steel.  Getting to my destination faster than my friends in a car.




No comments:

Post a Comment