Friday, July 25, 2014

Naqkita

Naqkita at Fifth Avenue South and South Jackson Street
What brand and type of bicycle do you have?
A used modified Univega 18 speed. The bike is a traditional street bike, but some small changes and parts exchange into a hybrid mountain bike. Meaning hybrid tires, mountain bike bars and click shifting system. 

Why do you ride? 
I was born in Seattle and have always had and road a bike. Most kids grow up that way here because of the many designated bike trails and just knowing how to ride around local neighborhoods to get to lakes and parks. Probably will continue to ride until I am 60, Ha! 

Where do you ride? 
Since I have lived in this city all my life, not too many places I have not road my bike. I have taken my bike to Bainbridge and I have ridden as far as Bothell through Lake City. And hey, they were no bike lanes when I started riding, so you really had to know the surrounding neighborhoods well. I have never wanted to or attempted to ride across the 520 bridge, just because of the heavy bike traffic in those narrow tunnels and there have been a few robberies and bike collisions. But not recently.  

What's the best thing that happened to you while riding? 
Nothing to really make note about, I just like to ride sometimes. It's a great way to start off your morning for work and a good end to a hard day. 
Lately, I feel bicyclists are not being careful in heavy traffic and I've had some downright risky riding, especially through downtown.  I have seen bicycles clipped by cars from behind and I seen someone killed instantly by a collision with a truck, the biker ran a red light. 
Although I am not pro helmet and I have never worn one, I have had some minor skirmishes with cars myself, but all of them I was able to walk away and never received serious injuries.   
Now that I think about, I use to ride my bike to the UW every morning for work. One day I had a flat and had to stop and jump on a bus.  Many of the passengers made comments to me stating that the could not believe the skill I had riding down the huge 24th Ave hill to Montake bridge. Always love that hill. Anyway a passenger recognized me and just was in amazement that I was even riding down that hill. I thought was funny.




No comments:

Post a Comment