Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Madi and sons

Madi and sons
Most often I use my bike for getting from point A to point B with my two kids, but this bike is so much more than just a vehicle to me. I guess (and hope!) that can be said of any bike, but my bike, a Surly Big Dummy longtail cargo bike, is *big* and built to be capable of more than mere transport...not that there's anything wrong with mere transport. As you can see from the picture, one of my bike's many talents is providing a raised platform. This is thanks to its Rolling Jackass center stand, an after-market part, locally made by Haulin' Colin. The kids use the bike as a jungle gym, or for getting up high to watch the Fremont Solstice Parade from the back of a big crowd; I stand on my deck to capture great photos.


Not to belittle the more mundane uses of my beloved bike: it makes the two-school-drop-off morning rush a joy, I fill the cargo bags with six bags of groceries--even with the kids on board, and I can carry the two kids plus their two little bikes through hilly or busy sections of towns to spots where we can all ride safely together. And rocks. I accumulate lots and lots of rocks in my bags. And sticks and the occasional worm.



No comments:

Post a Comment